The first USS Pyro (AE–1), an ammunition ship, was laid down 9 August 1918 at the Navy Yard, Puget Sound, Wash.; launched 16 December 1919; sponsored by Mrs. G. A. Bissett, wife of Comdr. Bissett, the Construction Officer at Puget Sound Navy Yard; and commissioned 10 August 1920, Comdr. John Sisson Graham in command.
22 April 1924 she put in at Bremerton and decommissioned at the Puget Sound Navy Yard 10 September.
Pyro decommissioned at Seattle 12 June and was struck from the Navy List 3 July. She was turned over to the War Shipping Administration 14 July 1946, and in March 1950 she was sold to the National Metal and Steel Co. Terminal Island, California for scrapping